Thursday, February 28, 2008

Science rules!


Our very own Mr. Wizard, Jeff Goodman, had a packed house for his afternoon of cool-ass science demonstrations. Here he's about to snuff a candle by putting the flame in the CO2 coming out of dry ice.


This is Jeff and Margot demonstrating the basic principle of the conservation of energy (not the same thing as "energy conservation") using a swinging bowling ball. He's explaining how energy from the sun is now stored in the bowling ball. Hmm...


Jeff, on the right, is a sound vibrating the air. Margot, on the left is a giant ear. The kids in between are air molecules transferring energy from the sound to the ear.


And here's Jeff doing the dramatic gummy bear sacrifice, my second favorite demonstration. The highlight for me was the electrified, glowing pickle. I'll get Dick to send me one of his pickle pix and post it later.

Meanwhile, if you just didn't get enough pictures of Seattle and Maui, I've put up a bunch more on Flickr since I got home. I'll stop soon. You can find them here.

No comments: